Tuesday 13 August 2013

choice cuts #23..

Into My Arms
by
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Oh not to touch a hair on your head
Leave you as you are
If he felt he had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms


Having recently returned from a 6 week eastern European adventure I find myself pining for a little familiarity. However, I was lucky enough on route to catch Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds in concert in front of about 18,000 punters. With a massive sound system at his disposal the maestro delivered a stellar 2hour set that covered the full spectrum of his bands genius. It was, put lightly, a spiritual experience. His rendition of Into My Arms left me swaying and swooning. When an artist such as Cave takes you in his arms you’re in for the ride of your life. Not only does he have the voice to reduce humble folk to rubble, but his stage presence and energy is otherworldly and electric. If there’s another band out there that can so readily deliver their catalogue, I’d like to hear them named.

Until then... “make her journey bright and pure that she will keep returning always and evermore

Kyiv streetscene

4 comments:

Cheeky Minx said...

How your experience reminds me of my own, with the exception mine was over ten years ago on a summer's night at an outdoor concert, the sun setting in the west, the arms of the man I adored wrapped tight around me. Into My Arms in a very literally sense on that night.

And even though that love and passion didn't stand the test of time, the song still plucks at my heart.

(If it isn't more than obvious, I adore reading your Choice cuts and seeing the street art you stumble upon on during your travels, bhp...)

Same sassy girl said...

Thanks for connecting me with him. Wow! So good to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm almost certain my all girl triangle & tambourine band would be terrible at covering this bad . . . although, it might be fun to watch us try.

(stupid blogger is crashing as I type this - my apologies if you get this comment several times.)

both.hands.please said...

Few things do stand the test of time Cheeky Minx. But your experience, I'm sure, was worth it all the same.
That man made the mistake of his life when he let you go!
And if it isn't obvious CM, I adore having you along on the virtual journey.

SassyG, I'm just pleased to connect you to a songwriter who has impacted my life over the decades. I hope he can do the same for you!

All girl triangle and tambourine band.. Ella, I can guarantee one thing.. Mr.Cave would approve of such an experiment. As do I. Whens rehearsal?